Wojnarowski: Hornets trade Dwight Howard to Nets for Timofey Mozgov and two second round picks
The Charlotte Hornets have traded center Dwight Howard to the Brooklyn Nets in exchange for center Timofey Mozgov and two second round picks, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.
Howard is entering the final year of his contract worth $23.8 million dollars, and with Mozgov's bloated contract, the Nets will end up saving $17 million in cap space for the summer fo 2019. This potentially gives them the ability to sign two max contracts next summer. For Howard it's another stop on his career-ending tour of the league, but he should get plenty of opportunity in Brooklyn if he stays there the whole year. However, the trade could stunt the growth of Jarrett Allen for the Nets. For the Hornets it should open up some more playing time for Cody Zeller and Frank Kaminsky at center.
Howard had another productive year for the Hornets in 2017-18. He averaged 16.6 points, 12.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists, and 1.6 blocks over 30.4 minutes per game. He owned a 55.6 effective field goal percentage, and his nERD of 3.6 ranked him 51st in our rankings.
- Jimmy Butler has reportedly requested a trade from the Timberwolves September 19th, 2018
- Dion Waiters (foot) will likely miss Heat season opener September 18th, 2018
- Knicks won't rule out sitting Kristaps Porzingis (knee) the entire season September 17th, 2018
- Luol Deng agrees to one-year, $2.4 million contract with Timberwolves September 10th, 2018
- Suns' Devin Booker has hand surgery, will miss six weeks September 10th, 2018
- Tyrone Wallace agrees to offer sheet with Pelicans September 3rd, 2018
- Dwight Howard to sign with Wizards after finalizing buyout with Nets July 3rd, 2018
- Wizards' Marcin Gortat heading to Los Angeles in exchange for Austin Rivers June 26th, 2018
- Clippers trade Austin Rivers to the Wizards for Marcin Gortat June 26th, 2018
- Kelly Oubre getting the start for Washington in Game 6 with Otto Porter out April 27th, 2018
- Otto Porter (leg procedure) out indefinitely for Wizards April 27th, 2018
- Wizards' Otto Porter (leg) misses shootaround, questionable for Game 6 April 27th, 2018