16-seed UMBC makes history in defeat of 1-seed Virginia
The UMBC Retrievers became the first ever 16 seed to defeat a 1 seed as they defeated the Virginia Cavaliers 74-54 on Friday night.
A lot of brackets were destroyed by the Retrievers' groundbreaking upset. Virginia, at 18.5%, was the most popular pick to win it all in ESPN Tournament Challenge. Meanwhile, UMBC -- the winners of the America East Conference -- were picked to advance at the second-lowest clip (3.4%) of any team.
Heading into the First Round matchup, our models gave UMBC just a 0.8% chance of defeating Virginia.
- Kansas punches ticket to Final Four with 85-81 victory over Duke March 25th, 2018
- Villanova advances to Final Four for second time in three seasons with victory over Texas Tech March 25th, 2018
- Michigan edges Florida State to earn a trip to the Final Four March 25th, 2018
- Loyola-Chicago continues magical NCAA Tournament run with win over Kansas State to advance to Final Four March 25th, 2018
- 11-seed Syracuse knocks off 3-seed Michigan State to advance to Sweet 16 March 18th, 2018
- 13-seed Marshall takes out Wichita State in surprise upset March 16th, 2018
- 16-seed UMBC makes history in defeat of 1-seed Virginia March 17th, 2018
- UMBC wins American East title, punches tournament ticket March 10th, 2018