Cleveland signs Will Venable to minor league deal
The Cleveland Indians signed outfielder Will Venable to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
The agreement was first reported by FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, and now we know it's a minor league deal. Venable, 33, batted .244/.320/.350 with six homers and 16 steals last season for the San Diego Padres and Texas Rangers. He has a chance of beating out Abraham Almonte for the Opening Day centerfield job and could ultimately settle in as a backup at all three outfield spots once Michael Brantley returns.
Venable posted below average marks in wOBA and wRC+, .296 and 87 respectively, in 140 games played last season and was worth 1.2 Wins Above Replacement. His only fantasy value comes from his ability to steal bases as he has the 24th most swipes since the 2010 season.
- Astros' Justin Verlander (groin) on schedule, doing well March 31st, 2020
- Red Sox's Chris Sale undergoes Tommy John March 30th, 2020
- Mets' Noah Syndergaard reportedly requires Tommy John for elbow injury March 24th, 2020
- Sam Tuivailala released by Mariners March 20th, 2020
- Mets-Marlins in Puerto Rico canceled by COVID-19 March 19th, 2020
- Diamondbacks-Padres April 18-19 Mexico City series canceled March 19th, 2020
- Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw to start on opening day March 9th, 2020
- Dodgers' Cody Bellinger held out Monday March 2nd, 2020
- Dodgers' Joc Pederson (hip, side) still unable to hit February 26th, 2020
- Julio Urias will start 2020 season in Dodgers' rotation February 22nd, 2020
- Phillies acquire Kyle Garlick in trade with Dodgers February 15th, 2020
- Dodgers receive Luis Rengifo in two-player deal with Angels February 4th, 2020