Javier Baez (thumb) back for Cubs following three-game absence
Chicago Cubs shortstop Javier Baez (thumb) is in the starting lineup for Friday afternoon's series opener against right-hander Johan Oviedo and the St. Louis Cardinals.
Baez will bat third and return to shortstop after sitting out the Cubs' three-game series against the San Diego Padres due to a bruised right thumb. He is 1-for-16 with 6 strikeouts over his past four games. Sergio Alcantara will move to second base Friday with Ian Happ sitting.
numberFire’s models project Baez for 11.5 FanDuel points and he has a $3,000 salary on Friday. Per our MLB Heat Map, the Cubs have an implied total of 4.8 runs on Friday. Oviedo has the fifth-lowest strikeout percentage (18.2) and worst walk percentage (15.5) among Friday's listed starters.
- Padres acquire Adam Frazier in trade with Pirates July 25th, 2021
- Zack Collins sitting for White Sox on Sunday July 25th, 2021
- Seby Zavala catching for Chicago on Sunday July 25th, 2021
- Jace Peterson starting for Milwaukee Sunday July 25th, 2021
- Milwaukee gives Luis Urias Sunday off July 25th, 2021
- Brewers' Manny Pina sitting Sunday July 25th, 2021
- Jake Marisnick in Cubs' Sunday lineup July 25th, 2021
- David Bote starting for Chicago on Sunday July 25th, 2021
- Jason Heyward sitting on Sunday for Chicago July 25th, 2021
- Rafael Ortega sitting for Cubs on Sunday July 25th, 2021
- Cubs starting Willson Contreras behind the plate on Saturday July 24th, 2021
- Matt Duffy heads to Cubs' bench on Saturday afternoon July 24th, 2021