David Ortiz bids farewell to Boston, Red Sox following ALDS exit
Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz went 0-for-1 with a sacrifice fly and two walks in the final game of his career Monday night against the Cleveland Indians in Game 3 of the American League Divisional Series.
Ortiz drew a walk in what turned out to be the final plate appearance of his 20-year career. He was pulled for a pinch-runner before the Red Sox ultimately fell to the Indians in Game 3 of the ALDS. Following the loss, a visibly emotional Ortiz returned to the field, tipping his cap to the Fenway crowd and Boston faithful, soaking it all in for one last time.
Ortiz heads into the sunset with a .286/.380/.552 careers lash and his 541 home runs are 17th-most all-time. Making his big league debut in 1997 with the Twins, Big Papi spent six seasons in Minnesota before signing with the Red Sox as a free agent in 2003.
- Angels starting Kurt Suzuki at catcher on Tuesday July 27th, 2021
- Juan Lagares in right field for Los Angeles on Tuesday July 27th, 2021
- Phil Gosselin batting third in Angels' Tuesday lineup July 27th, 2021
- Angels' Jared Walsh (abdomen) sitting on Tuesday night July 27th, 2021
- Dylan Moore on second base Tuesday for Seattle July 27th, 2021
- Diamondbacks' Josh Reddick scratched Tuesday versus Rangers due to illness July 27th, 2021
- Tuesday's game between Red Sox and Blue Jays postponed due to rain July 27th, 2021
- Jarren Duran joining Boston's bench Tuesday July 27th, 2021
- Franchy Cordero sitting Tuesday for Red Sox July 27th, 2021
- Michael Chavis on second base for Red Sox versus Blue Jays July 26th, 2021
- Xander Bogaerts on Red Sox's bench Monday July 26th, 2021
- Christian Vazquez catching for Red Sox Sunday July 25th, 2021