Steelers expected to add running back in draft
The Pittsburgh Steelers are “fully expect[ed]” to draft a running back, writes Ed Bouchette of The Athletic.
Bouchette was asked about the Steelers’ long-term plans for running back James Conner. “I don’t think they will sign Conner to a new contract this year as he enters the final year of his rookie deal,” Bouchette replied. “He has shown he can be a good halfback but he also has not been durable.” Conner has missed nine games due to a handful of injuries over the past two seasons since taking over for Le’Veon Bell as the team’s lead back. His volume dipped from 20.8 touches per game in 2018 to 15.0 last year. His production also fell from 113.1 to 71.5 yards per game while totaling 6 fewer touchdowns. Based on Bouchette’s outlook, the Steelers may continue to go with more of a committee approach in the backfield. Jaylen Samuels, Benny Snell, and Kerrith Whyte fill out the depth chart. Conner turns 25 in May.
Conner averaged 12.9 FanDuel points per game last season, finishing as the RB18 among all backs to play at least half the season. His yards per touch fell from 5.4 to 4.8 yards per game. He was 36th in yards per touch among the 59 players with at least 6.25 touches per game.
- Denzel Mims working behind Keelan Cole at Jets camp June 14th, 2021
- Pats' Mac Jones playing behind Jarrett Stidham in "every period" June 14th, 2021
- Jamison Crowder, Jets rework contract June 14th, 2021
- Jakobi Meyers looking like Patriots' WR1 for camp June 14th, 2021
- 49ers' Trey Sermon exceeding expectations at OTAs June 14th, 2021
- Rams praise Cam Akers' pass-catching ability heading into 2021 season June 13th, 2021
- Cardinals' Kyler Murray looking to run less this season June 10th, 2021
- Austin Dean starting for Cardinals Sunday afternoon April 11th, 2021
- Cardinals reportedly sign wide receiver A.J. Green to 1-year deal March 17th, 2021
- J.J. Watt announces contract with Cardinals March 1st, 2021
- Cardinals' Kyler Murray (ankle) returns to Week 17's clash with Rams January 3rd, 2021
- Cardinals' Kyler Murray (ankle) questionable to return in Week 17, Chris Streveler now under center January 3rd, 2021