Post Gazette: Pittsburgh unlikely to pursue Jameis Winston
The Pittsburgh Steelers are unlikely to pursue free agent quarterback Jameis Winston, according to Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The Steelers have emerged as a popular potential landing spot for Winston over the past couple weeks. However, Batko believes there are "a multitude of reasons for why this marriage won't happen," including turnovers (Winston led the league with 30 interceptions last season), potential salary demands, and off-field issues. There are also health concerns, as Winston reportedly played through a broken thumb and torn meniscus last season. With all that being said, Winston would serve as an immediate upgrade over Mason Rudolph as Ben Roethlisberger's backup, not to mention Devlin Hodges, Paxton Lynch, and J.T. Barrett. Per FanDuel Sportsbook, the Steelers are currently tied with the Denver Broncos as the fourth-most likely team to have Winston on their Week 1 roster.
Winston threw more interceptions than anyone last season, but he also led the NFL in passing yards (5,109) and air yards (6,538) while throwing the second-most touchdowns (33) and having the second-highest average depth of target (10.4). He averaged 21.0 FanDuel points per game (QB5).
- 49ers' JaMycal Hasty (ankle) placed on injured reserve September 25th, 2021
- Buccaneers' Antonio Brown (Covid-19) officially ruled out for Week 3 September 25th, 2021
- Dolphins place Tua Tagovailoa (broken ribs) on injured reserve, eligible to return in Week 6 September 25th, 2021
- Eagles activate Zach Ertz off COVID-19 reserve list on Saturday September 25th, 2021
- Rapoport: Carson Wentz (ankle) expected to start for Colts in Week 3 September 24th, 2021
- Rapoport: Christian McCaffrey (hamstring) expected to miss multiple weeks for Panthers September 24th, 2021
- Saints' Tre'Quan Smith (hamstring) placed on injured reserve September 10th, 2021
- Saints' Tre'Quan Smith (hamstring) DNP Thursday September 9th, 2021
- Saints release Latavius Murray September 7th, 2021
- Michael Thomas (ankle) landing on Saints PUP list August 31st, 2021
- Jameis Winston reportedly named Saints' starter August 27th, 2021
- Saints' Adam Trautman's leg injury reportedly expected to be minor August 24th, 2021