James Conner to resume Steelers' 'featured runner' role
Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner "is a featured guy and proven runner when healthy," head coach Mike Tomlin said.
“I’m a featured-runner type guy by mentality,” Tomlin replied when asked about his backfield plans for this season. "No question in today’s game, a featured runner needs to be supplemented and supplemented by guys who are capable of doing similar things in case he misses time...Usually when it’s going well, it’s because you have a lead dog out front, and that guy is the featured runner. James is a featured guy and proven runner when healthy. We’re excited about him getting back to health and displaying that in 2020." Tomlin added that Benny Snell is "capable of being a James-type of guy if James is unavailable." He also praised fourth-round rookie Anthony McFarland, but didn't mention Jaylen Samuels, Kerrith Whyte, or Trey Edmunds. Conner has missed nine games over the past two years, but it sounds like Tomlin is committed to feeding him the rock. His volume did dip from 20.8 touches per game in 2018 to 15.0 last year. That led to Conner's production falling from 113.1 to 71.5 yards per game while totaling 6 fewer touchdowns.
Conner averaged 12.9 FanDuel points per game last season, finishing as the RB18 among all backs to play at least half the season. His yards per touch fell from 5.4 in 2018 to 4.8 last season, ranking 36th among the 59 players with at least 6.25 touches per game. Conner also added the third-fewest Rushing Net Expected Points per play out of 45 backs with at least 100 carries.
- Kenny Golladay (hip) limited for Giants on Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- Miles Sanders (chest) limited for Eagles Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- Jamison Crowder (groin) DNP for Jets on Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- Panthers' Christian McCaffrey (hamstring) ruled out for remainder of Week 3 September 23rd, 2021
- Damien Harris (finger) limited for Patriots on Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- Parris Campbell (abdomen) limited again for Colts Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- DeAndre Hopkins (ribs) expected to play for Cardinals September 23rd, 2021
- Arizona's DeAndre Hopkins (ribs) sidelined on Wednesday September 22nd, 2021
- Yadier Molina catching for Cardinals Monday September 20th, 2021
- Rondale Moore scores, leads Cardinals with 114 yards September 20th, 2021
- Kyler Murray scores 4 times in wild Cardinals win September 19th, 2021
- Cardinals' Kyler Murray expected to play "some snaps" against Chiefs on Friday August 18th, 2021