Patriots could ask cornerback Joejuan Williams to take on multiple roles
Mike Reiss of ESPN reports that the New England Patriots could ask 2019 second-round pick Joejuan Williams to become a "jack of all trades".
Williams played on just 80 defensive snaps in his rookie season in the Patriots' stacked secondary. Each of the Pats' three starting cornerbacks ranked as top-20 finishers in PFF grades. With all of Stephon Gilmore, Jonathan Jones, Jason McCourty, and even J.C. Jackson returning, it makes sense that the team could ask Williams to learn other positions.
Though he saw very limited action on defense, Williams did play well when called upon. He allowed just 4.6 yards per target on 7 targets, and while he did not play enough snaps to qualify in PFF's end-of-year rankings, his coverage grade of 69.5 would have ranked fifth-best among all rookie cornerbacks. The Patriots' secondary projects to remain one of the strongest units in the league in 2020.
- David Njoku reportedly 'big part' of Browns July 6th, 2020
- Patrick Mahomes signs 10-year, $450 million extension with Chiefs July 6th, 2020
- Chiefs expect 'big jump' from Damien Williams July 5th, 2020
- Lions sign second round pick D'Andre Swift to 4-year deal July 4th, 2020
- Bills' Gabriel Davis 'could be a plug-and-play weapon' this season July 4th, 2020
- Buffalo's Zack Moss 'brings a different dimension' to backfield, expected to complement Devin Singletary July 4th, 2020
- Cam Newton arrives in New England to take physical July 4th, 2020
- Cam Newton only guaranteed $550K from Patriots July 2nd, 2020
- Howe: Cam Newton 'wasn't guaranteed the Patriots starting job' June 30th, 2020
- Cam Newton recommended to Patriots by Norv Turner June 29th, 2020
- Jarrett Stidham reportedly still in Patriots' QB competition June 29th, 2020
- Cam Newton reportedly agrees with Patriots on 1-year deal June 28th, 2020