Saints' Chauncey Gardner-Johnson to mostly cover slot
New Orleans Saints defensive back Chauncey Gardner-Johnson will spend "a good amount of time" covering the slot, per position coach Aaron Glenn.
Gardner-Johnson primarily covered the slot as a rookie, so this isn't a surprise. He recorded an interception and 9 pass deflections while playing over half of the Saints' defensive snaps. His play improved over the course of his rookie year and he wound up starting each of the Saints' final four games, including the playoffs. Gardner-Johnson did get beat on a handful of occasions, but he was the only player in the league last season with more forced incompletions (9) than first downs or touchdowns allowed (8) at the slot position. The fourth-round pick should only continue to get better in his second season, which will be necessary when matched up with the likes of Rob Gronkowski (twice), George Kittle, Travis Kelce, Kyle Rudolph, Hunter Henry, and Zach Ertz.
numberFire's models project CGJ for 1.2 interceptions and 3.2 pass deflections in 2020. The Saints D/ST is 16th in our preseason fantasy rankings.
- Giants' Nick Gates fractures leg in first quarter Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Pharaoh Brown (shoulder, ankle) DNP for Houston Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Steelers' Eric Ebron (hamstring) DNP Thursday September 16th, 2021
- D'Andre Swift (groin) limited for Lions on Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Jamison Crowder (groin) limited for Jets Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Miami's Will Fuller (personal) absent on Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Saints' Tre'Quan Smith (hamstring) placed on injured reserve September 10th, 2021
- Saints' Tre'Quan Smith (hamstring) DNP Thursday September 9th, 2021
- Saints release Latavius Murray September 7th, 2021
- Michael Thomas (ankle) landing on Saints PUP list August 31st, 2021
- Jameis Winston reportedly named Saints' starter August 27th, 2021
- Saints' Adam Trautman's leg injury reportedly expected to be minor August 24th, 2021