49ers' Deebo Samuel reportedly breaks foot
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel suffered a broken foot during a workout with teammates Tuesday and will be sidelined 3-4 months, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Samuel is undergoing surgery Thursday to repair what Rapoport says is a Jones fracture. That timeline means Samuel will miss the beginning of the season if the schedule remains as is. There's a decent chance he opens the year on the reserve/PUP list, which would cost him the first six games. Samuel emerged as the 49ers' number-one wide receiver as a rookie, so this creates opportunities for the entire depth chart. First-round pick Brandon Aiyuk figures to benefit the most, followed by Kendrick Bourne and 2019 third-rounder Jalen Hurd. The injury may also open up snaps for Trent Taylor and/or Richie James. Dante Pettis could even come back from the fantasy graveyard. Samuel averaged 5.4 targets and nearly a rush attempt per game as a rookie. He added the fifth-most yards after catch (473) among all wideouts last year and ranked 10th in yards per target (9.9) out of 79 receivers with at least 50 targets.
Prior to this report, Samuel was the WR28 in numberFire's preseason fantasy rankings. Our 16-game models project him for 92.7 targets, 60.5 receptions, 809.0 yards, and 5.1 touchdowns. He's also expected to add another 115.9 rushing yards and 1.2 scores.
- Philadelphia's Miles Sanders (ankle/rest) fully practices on Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Baltimore's Marquise Brown (ankle) remains sidelined on Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Raiders' Josh Jacobs (toe, ankle) logs another DNP on Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Giants' Saquon Barkley (knee) unlikely to be "totally unleashed" against Washington in Week 2 September 15th, 2021
- Rapoport: Jerry Jeudy (ankle) probably out 6 weeks for Broncos September 15th, 2021
- Ravens 'going to play all those guys' in four-man backfield September 15th, 2021
- 49ers' Brandon Aiyuk (hamstring) logs full practice on Wednesday September 15th, 2021
- 49ers' Raheem Mostert undergoing season-ending knee surgery September 14th, 2021
- Elijah Mitchell 'stepped up' for 49ers in backfield quagmire September 13th, 2021
- 49ers' Raheem Mostert (knee) to miss around 8 weeks September 13th, 2021
- 49ers' Brandon Aiyuk "still learning how to be a pro" September 13th, 2021
- 49ers' Raheem Mostert (knee) will not return to Week 1 September 12th, 2021