Jarrett Stidham reportedly still in Patriots' QB competition
New England Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham can still win the starting job, reports Jeff Howe of The Athletic.
Stidham had been the presumed replacement for Tom Brady until the Patriots signed Cam Newton on Sunday night. However, a source of Howe's "implied" that the signing "has nothing to do with Jarrett Stidham’s performance." That seems fair since the Patriots haven't actually been able to see Stidham do any official on-field work this offseason. "The Patriots’ logic here is they heightened the talent pool in the quarterback competition," writes Howe. Stidham is still going to have an opportunity to win the starting job, but the chances of that happening likely depend more on Newton's health than Stidham's own ability. Stidham, a 2019 fourth-round pick, only played 15 snaps as a rookie behind Brady.
Stidham barely saw the field as a rookie, but he did have an impressive preseason. The fourth-round pick completed 61-of-91 passes (67.0 percent) for 731 yards (8.0 per attempt) with 4 touchdowns and 1 interception. That earned Stidham the sixth-highest overall passing grade (72.2) and second-best adjusted completion percentage (84.1) from Pro Football Focus among the 20 quarterbacks with at least 68 preseason dropbacks.
- Washington releases Derrius Guice after domestic-violence incident August 7th, 2020
- Eagles re-sign defensive end Vinny Curry to one-year deal August 7th, 2020
- Olson: Raiders will start Henry Ruggs in slot August 6th, 2020
- Kenny Golladay (COVID-19) good to go for Lions August 5th, 2020
- Ravens' Marquise Brown now up to 180 pounds August 5th, 2020
- Steelers' Diontae Johnson '100 percent' after hernia surgery August 5th, 2020
- Patriots' Mohamed Sanu (ankle) activated off PUP August 4th, 2020
- Pats place Mohamed Sanu (ankle) on active/PUP list August 3rd, 2020
- Pats place Sony Michel (foot) on active/PUP list August 3rd, 2020
- Patriots' Cam Newton will have to win starting QB job July 31st, 2020
- Patrick Chung to be 6th Patriots' opt-out July 28th, 2020
- Patriots' Dont'a Hightower reportedly opting out of 2020 July 28th, 2020