Howe: Cam Newton 'wasn't guaranteed the Patriots starting job'
New England Patriots quarterback Cam Newton reportedly was not guaranteed a starting role.
According to Howe and The Athletic, the Patriots did not initially pursue Newton for contract reasons and his signing has "nothing to do" with Jarrett Stidham's performance. If Newton claims the starting job, add the former MVP to a long list of intriguing value targets in a projected strong quarterback fantasy pool.
Newton's current yearly projection includes 338.1 completions for 26.1 touchdowns and 3,748.2 yards.
- Eagles eager to let Miles Sanders loose August 3rd, 2020
- Jets release offensive guard Brian Winters on Sunday August 2nd, 2020
- Lions' Geronimo Allison opts out of 2020 season August 2nd, 2020
- Browns' Jarvis Landry (hip) lands on active/PUP list August 2nd, 2020
- Browns' David Njoku commits to staying in Cleveland August 1st, 2020
- Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford placed on COVID-19 list August 1st, 2020
- Patriots' Cam Newton will have to win starting QB job July 31st, 2020
- Patrick Chung to be 6th Patriots' opt-out July 28th, 2020
- Patriots' Dont'a Hightower reportedly opting out of 2020 July 28th, 2020
- Pats' Sony Michel (foot) may not be cleared in time for practice July 27th, 2020
- Pats' Sony Michel (foot) has been rehabbing at team facility July 12th, 2020
- Rex Burkhead, Patriots reportedly restructure July 7th, 2020