Chiefs expect 'big jump' from Damien Williams
Kansas City Chiefs running backs coach Deland McCullough expects Damien Williams to take a 'big jump' in 2020.
This is interesting particularly because of how the Chiefs spent their first-round draft pick this year on another running back, Clyde Edwards-Helaire out of LSU. Williams has flashed since joining the Chiefs two seasons ago and even had the game-sealing touchdown for the team in the Super Bowl earlier this year, but it's unclear how the team intends to utilize their running backs. Williams dealt with injuries throughout last season while the team leaned on a committee approach, and the draft capital invested in Edwards-Helaire could imply a lightened workload for Williams. Their running back usage will be one of the most important storylines to watch when the season begins.
Williams has been dangerous on wheel routes with Mahomes under center, and has had put up 185 receiving yards in 5 playoff games over the past 2 seasons. Despite comments this offseason indicating that Williams would lead the backfield, numberFire expects him to take a slight backseat to the rookie in 2020 in a near-even committee. He is currently projected for 142 carries for 605 rushing yards and 5 rushing touchdowns, with another 22 receptions for 173 yards and 1 touchdown.
- Washington releases Derrius Guice after domestic-violence incident August 7th, 2020
- Eagles re-sign defensive end Vinny Curry to one-year deal August 7th, 2020
- Olson: Raiders will start Henry Ruggs in slot August 6th, 2020
- Kenny Golladay (COVID-19) good to go for Lions August 5th, 2020
- Ravens' Marquise Brown now up to 180 pounds August 5th, 2020
- Steelers' Diontae Johnson '100 percent' after hernia surgery August 5th, 2020
- Rapoport: Chiefs' Damien Williams opts out of 2020 season July 29th, 2020
- Chiefs reportedly sign offensive guard Kelechi Osemele to one-year deal July 26th, 2020
- Chiefs' Laurent Duvernay-Tardif opts out of 2020 NFL season July 24th, 2020
- Clyde Edwards-Helaire reportedly agrees with Chiefs July 21st, 2020
- Chris Jones reportedly lands 4-year, $85M from Chiefs July 14th, 2020
- Chiefs have begun contract negotiations with Chris Jones July 12th, 2020