Packers' Robert Tonyan to likely open as top pass-catching TE
Green Bay Packers tight end Robert Tonyan is expected to start the season as the team's top pass-catching tight end, writes Matt Schneidman of The Athletic.
Jace Sternberger, the Packers' second-round pick in 2019, apparently isn't ready for the No. 1 tight end role. Tonyan has caught 14 passes on 21 targets for 177 yards and 2 touchdowns in 27 games over the past two seasons. Jimmy Graham's offseason departure vacates 60 targets at the position.
Sternberg is currently the TE22 in numberFire's preseason fantasy rankings. He has a projection of 66.1 targets, 43.7 receptions, 470.9 yards, and 3.7 touchdowns. It's reasonable to expect the same from Tonyan if he's the Packers' primary pass-catching tight end.
- X-rays for Bucs' Rob Gronkowski (ribs) come back negative September 27th, 2021
- Bucs' Giovani Bernard "day-to-day" with a sprained MCL September 27th, 2021
- Rams "hopeful" Darrell Henderson (ribs) will return for Week 4 September 27th, 2021
- Bucs' Scott Miller dealing with "pretty severe" turf toe September 27th, 2021
- Titans' A.J. Brown (hamstring) considered week-to-week September 27th, 2021
- Josh Gordon planning to sign with Chiefs September 27th, 2021
- Packers' Robert Tonyan scores first touchdown September 21st, 2021
- Green Bay uses A.J. Dillon sparingly in win September 21st, 2021
- Davante Adams paces Packers in victory September 21st, 2021
- Aaron Rodgers rebounds with 4 touchdowns as Packers roll September 21st, 2021
- Aaron Jones scores 4 times in Packers win September 21st, 2021
- Packers shutting down Za'Darius Smith (back) 'for a while' September 17th, 2021