Washington's Kyle Allen reportedly requiring season-ending ankle surgery
Washington Football Team quarterback Kyle Allen will likely require season-ending ankle surgery, reports Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.
The Football Team is awaiting more information before making a final decision, but Fowler says it is "trending" toward Allen missing the rest of the season after suffering a dislocated left ankle Sunday. Alex Smith will take over as the starter with Dwayne Haskins presumably backing him up. Smith completed 24-of-32 passes for 325 yards, 1 touchdown, and 3 interceptions in Washington's 23-20, Week 9 loss to the New York Giants. He is as conservative as they come at this point in his career and may serve as a downgrade for Washington's receivers, but Smith taking over could be an upgrade for J.D. McKissic, who racked up a team-high 14 targets. No other Washington player was targeted more than six times. The Football Team will play the Detroit Lions in Week 10.
Allen recorded negative -0.06 Passing Net Expected Points per dropback, compared to Smith's 0.09. The latter had the lowest average depth of target (3.5 yards) among any quarterback with multiple dropbacks in Week 9. Allen owns an average depth of target of 6.4 yards for the season.
- Dolphins' Tua Tagovailoa (upper body) carted to locker room, Jacoby Brisset now under center against Buffalo September 19th, 2021
- Browns' Jarvis Landry (knee) questionable to return against Houston in Week 2 September 19th, 2021
- Bills' Zack Moss officially active for Week 2 September 19th, 2021
- Jets' Denzel Mims inactive for Week 2 showdown with New England September 19th, 2021
- Jonnu Smith (hip) active for Patriots in Week 2 September 19th, 2021
- Patriots' Rhamondre Stevenson inactive for Week 2 meeting with Jets September 19th, 2021
- Antonio Gibson (shoulder) active for Football Team Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Antonio Gibson (shoulder) upgraded for Football Team September 14th, 2021
- Football Team's Antonio Gibson (shoulder) "limited" Monday September 13th, 2021
- Washington's Ryan Fitzpatrick (hip) expected to miss 6-8 weeks September 13th, 2021
- Ryan Fitzpatrick (hip) lands on Football Team injured reserve September 13th, 2021
- Washington confirms Taylor Heinicke as Thursday starter September 13th, 2021