Lions "to begin discussing trade options" for Matthew Stafford
Quarterback Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions have agreed to part ways during the offseason, NFL's Tom Pelissero reports, and the team will "begin discussing trade options."
Pelissero's report adds that Stafford is seeking a "fresh start" after spending the last 12 seasons with the franchise. The Lions organization appeared to be seeking a fresh start themselves after new head coach and general manager hirings, making this a somewhat mutual decision. Whether or not a trade actually comes of this remains to be seen, but if Stafford is available multiple teams will have interest.
At 32 years of age, Stafford's play has remained consistent year over year, even posting a strong 7.9 adjusted yards per pass attempt this season without his top pass catcher in Kenny Golladay for most of the year. Any team looking to compete in 2021 should be at least considering making the Lions an offer for the star quarterback.
- Derrick Henry dominates for 3 scores in Titans' comeback victory September 19th, 2021
- Buccaneers' Rob Gronkowski finds endzone twice in blowout victory September 19th, 2021
- Kyler Murray scores 4 times in wild Cardinals win September 19th, 2021
- Marquise Brown (ankle) active for Ravens Sunday night September 19th, 2021
- Texans' Tyrod Taylor (hamstring) ruled out of Week 3's game against Panthers September 19th, 2021
- Steelers' Diontae Johnson suffers knee injury during Week 2 loss to Raiders September 19th, 2021
- Cooper Kupp goes for 163 yards, 2 touchdowns in Rams win September 19th, 2021
- Rams' Darrell Henderson (ribs) questionable to return in Week 2 September 19th, 2021
- Rams' Sony Michel not guaranteed a larger role in Week 2 showdown with Colts September 18th, 2021
- Rams: Darrell Henderson still set for significant role August 26th, 2021
- Rams acquire Sony Michel from Patriots for pair of picks August 25th, 2021
- Rams' Darrell Henderson (thumb) donning non-contact jersey August 24th, 2021