Tampa Bay uses franchise tag on Chris Godwin
Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Chris Godwin was franchise tagged on Tuesday.
The 84th overall pack in the 2017 draft, Godwin was eligible for free agency this season, but the Buccaneers had no intention of letting him go. According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the franchise tag will serve as a placeholder while the two sides work out a long-term deal. Godwin will rejoin a Buccaneers offense that is expected to retain nearly all of its key stars following a Super Bowl victory. He should maintain a similar role in the offense operating alongside fellow star wide receiver Mike Evans.
In his first season with Tom Brady under center, Godwin caught 65 of 84 targets for 84 yards and 7 touchdowns in just 12 games played.
- Lions' Kenny Golladay (hamstring) likely out 2-3 weeks August 5th, 2021
- Giants' Kenny Golladay (hamstring) reportedly avoided serious injury August 4th, 2021
- Kenny Golladay leaves Giants' training camp session early August 3rd, 2021
- Nagy: Bears' Tarik Cohen "weeks away" from PUP activation August 3rd, 2021
- Jets' Michael Carter reportedly impressing at Jets camp August 3rd, 2021
- Matthew Stafford (thumb) leaves Rams practice early, X-rays negative August 3rd, 2021
- Buccaneers' O.J. Howard (Achilles) not practicing to start training camp July 25th, 2021
- Chris Godwin, Buccaneers unlikely to reach long-term deal July 15th, 2021
- Bucs ink Rob Gronkowski to one-year deal March 15th, 2021
- Tom Brady extending with Buccaneers through 2022 March 12th, 2021
- Tampa Bay uses franchise tag on Chris Godwin March 9th, 2021
- Cameron Brate (back) cleared to play in Super Bowl for Buccaneers February 7th, 2021