Patriots sign free agent tight end Jonnu Smith to four-year contract
The New England Patriots will sign free agent tight end Jonnu Smith to a 4-year, $50 million deal with $31.25 million in guaranteed money.
The Patriots had arguably the worst pass-catching group in the league during the 2020 season, and the team clearly made upgrading their offense a priority by signing Smith to a 4-year deal. Smith has a good chance of usurping wide receiver Julian Edelman as the Pats' top pass-catcher this season.
Smith offers elite athleticism at the tight end position, and, as coach Bill Belichick noted previously, is one of the best tight ends in the league at generating yards after the catch; Smith averaged 5.8 yards after the catch per reception this past season, the eighth-best mark in the league. Smith could be in for a massive fantasy season with the Patriots in 2021.
- T.J. Hockenson leads Lions, scores again September 21st, 2021
- Lions' Amon-Ra St. Brown records 18 yards September 21st, 2021
- Packers' Robert Tonyan scores first touchdown September 21st, 2021
- Lions' Quintez Cephus scores early in loss September 21st, 2021
- Green Bay uses A.J. Dillon sparingly in win September 21st, 2021
- Davante Adams paces Packers in victory September 21st, 2021
- Jonnu Smith (hip) active for Patriots in Week 2 September 19th, 2021
- Patriots' Rhamondre Stevenson inactive for Week 2 meeting with Jets September 19th, 2021
- Jonnu Smith (hip) limited for Patriots Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Damien Harris hits century mark, fumbles late in Patriots loss September 13th, 2021
- Patriots' Nelson Agholor (ankle) active for Week 1 September 12th, 2021
- Patriots' Nelson Agholor (ankle) questionable for Week 1 showdown with Miami September 10th, 2021