Patriots adding Hunter Henry to offseason haul
The New England Patriots are signing tight end Hunter Henry, formerly of the Los Angeles Chargers, to a three-year, $37.5 million contract.
The deal includes $25 million guaranteed. Henry and Jonnu Smith were free agency's top two tight ends, and the Patriots signed them both in less than 24 hours. Henry drew a career-high 6.6 targets per game last season for the Chargers but he's unlikely to see as much volume with Cam Newton under center in New England, especially with Smith also in the mix. That being said, the Patriots should run plenty of 12 personnel featuring both tight ends. On the other side of the coast, Donald Parham now becomes the favorite to take over as the Chargers' starting tight end. He totaled 5 catches on 7 targets for 84 yards and a touchdown over the final two weeks last season.
Henry averaged 8.2 FanDuel points per game last season, finishing 11th among tight ends. Among the 29 tight ends with at least 50 targets, including the postseason, Henry ranked 16th in Reception Net Expected Points per target. Henry's 72.7 overall grade from Pro Football Focus since 2019 ranks 11th among 37 players at the position with at least 1,000 offensive snaps.
- Justin Jackson placed on Chargers' COVID-19 list July 27th, 2021
- 49ers' Jeff Wilson (knee) placed on active/PUP list, out until at least Week 8 July 27th, 2021
- Washington's Curtis Samuel (groin) placed on active/PUP list July 27th, 2021
- Kadarius Toney activated off Giants' COVID-19 list July 27th, 2021
- Steelers expecting Najee Harris to be 3-down back July 27th, 2021
- Pelissero: Packers working on acquiring Randall Cobb from Texans July 27th, 2021
- Jonnu Smith (hamstring) reportedly will be ready for Patriots' training camp July 20th, 2021
- Damien Harris 'surefire No.1' in Patriots backfield July 13th, 2021
- N'Keal Harry requests trade from Patriots July 6th, 2021
- Patriots' Mac Jones forcing 'real competition' with Cam Newton June 21st, 2021
- Pats' Mac Jones playing behind Jarrett Stidham in "every period" June 14th, 2021
- Jakobi Meyers looking like Patriots' WR1 for camp June 14th, 2021