Vikings not eyeing larger role for Irv Smith Jr. in 2021 season
Minnesota Vikings tight end Irv Smith Jr. is not expected to see an expanded role in the 2021 season, according to head coach Mike Zimmer.
Asked about Smith this week, Zimmer said "I don't think it's any bigger role for him whatsoever", adding "I think it's a bigger role for Tyler Conklin. He's kind of emerged as a guy that's moving upward and with those two guys, we have a lot of weapons there". In the 2020-21 season, Smith caught 30 of 43 targets for 365 yards and 5 touchdowns.
numberFire's models project Smith for 57.6 receptions on 89.5 targets for 603.6 yards and 5.62 touchdowns in the 2021 season. He is the TE11 in our preseason projections.
- Rams "hopeful" Darrell Henderson (ribs) will return for Week 4 September 27th, 2021
- Bucs' Scott Miller dealing with "pretty severe" turf toe September 27th, 2021
- Titans' A.J. Brown (hamstring) considered week-to-week September 27th, 2021
- Josh Gordon planning to sign with Chiefs September 27th, 2021
- T.Y. Hilton (neck) 'not quite there yet' for Colts September 27th, 2021
- Pats' James White out indefinitely with hip subluxation injury September 27th, 2021
- Vikings' Dalvin Cook (ankle) officially inactive for Week 3's clash with Seahawks September 26th, 2021
- Dalvin Cook (ankle) "unlikely" to play in Vikings' Week 3 contest September 26th, 2021
- Minnesota's Dalvin Cook (ankle) questionable for Week 3's matchup against Seattle September 24th, 2021
- Dalvin Cook (ankle) absent for Vikings again September 23rd, 2021
- Vikings' Dalvin Cook (ankle) DNP on Wednesday September 22nd, 2021
- K.J. Osborn leads Vikings receivers in loss September 20th, 2021