Bears want David Montgomery at 20 carries per game
The Chicago Bears want running back David Montgomery to average 20 carries per game, head coach Matt Nagy said.
"Depending on what the game is, what's happened the last couple years and why some of David's carries -- which aren't low -- haven't been quite as high is a lot of guys get it in to four-minute mode in the fourth quarter," Nagy explained. "That's where they can get those extra four or five carries, which can bump them into the top five, you know, with 20 rushes a game. That's our goal." Nagy added that they want to have late leads to allow Montgomery to run out the clock. Montgomery averaged 16.5 carries per game last season and finished with the fourth-most carries in the league (247) as a de facto workhorse for the Bears. He also tied for the fifth-most receptions among running backs (54) due to Tarik Cohen's season-ending injury. The return of Cohen in 2021, along with Justin Fields potentially vulturing away scoring opportunities and the offseason signing of Damien Williams, could all contribute to a reduced workload for Montgomery next season. In regards to Nagy's hopes for more positive game scripts, the Bears currently have a 7.5-game regular season win total on FanDuel Sportsbook. Per Fantasy Football Calculator, Montgomery's ADP is RB20 in standard leagues.
Montgomery is the RB16 in numberFire's preseason fantasy rankings. Our models project him for 286.1 carries (16.8 per game), 1,251.6 rush yards, 37.5 receptions, 298.3 receiving yards, and 12.1 total touchdowns this season. Among the 47 running backs with at least 100 carries in 2020, Harris finished 24th in Rushing Net Expected Points per carry.
- Carson Wentz (ankles) expected to miss Colts game Sunday September 23rd, 2021
- Giants' Evan Engram (calf) returns to limited practice on Wednesday September 22nd, 2021
- Washington's Antonio Gibson (shoulder) limited on Wednesday September 22nd, 2021
- Derek Carr (ankle) "ready to go" for Raiders' Week 3 showdown with Dolphins September 22nd, 2021
- Colts' Parris Campbell (abdomen) limited on Wednesday September 22nd, 2021
- Jets' Jamison Crowder (groin) DNP on Wednesday September 22nd, 2021
- Andy Dalton (knee) still Bears starter when healthy September 22nd, 2021
- Bears name Justin Fields Week 3 starter versus Browns September 22nd, 2021
- Andy Dalton (knee) expected to sit for Bears in Week 3 September 21st, 2021
- Rapoport: Andy Dalton has knee bone bruise, Week 3 status for Bears TBD September 20th, 2021
- Bears' Justin Fields filling in for Andy Dalton (questionable, knee) September 19th, 2021
- Bears' Andy Dalton (knee) headed to locker room; Justin Fields in at quarterback September 19th, 2021