J.D. McKissic bulking up for more work in Washington backfield
Washington Football Team running back J.D. McKissic bulked up this offseason to prove that he can be more than a pass-catching back.
“All training camp, I just wanted to show them that I’ll do all of that,” McKissic said. “Not to limit myself to just be a one-run type back. That means a lot to me to be able to get those type of runs in games to be a guy that’s 198 pounds." McKissic led all running backs with 110 targets last season and had the second-most catches (80) behind Alvin Kamara (83). However, McKissic was third on Washington in carries (85) behind Peyton Barber (94) and Antonio Gibson (170). Despite McKissic's efforts in the weight room this offseason, he is likely only going to see consistent rush attempts if Gibson suffers an injury. Furthermore, checkdown specialist Alex Smith's retirement and Gibson's expected development in his second season, point toward reduced usage for McKissic in the passing game.
numberFire's models project McKissic for a modest 57.1 carries this season and essentially an even split in targets between McKissic (62.5) and Gibson (62.0). McKissic's current ADP is RB41 in PPR leagues, per Fantasy Football Calculator. He ranked 39th in Rushing Net Expected points per carry last season out of 76 backs with at least 50 attempts.
- Rams "hopeful" Darrell Henderson (ribs) will return for Week 4 September 27th, 2021
- Bucs' Scott Miller dealing with "pretty severe" turf toe September 27th, 2021
- Titans' A.J. Brown (hamstring) considered week-to-week September 27th, 2021
- Josh Gordon planning to sign with Chiefs September 27th, 2021
- T.Y. Hilton (neck) 'not quite there yet' for Colts September 27th, 2021
- Pats' James White out indefinitely with hip subluxation injury September 27th, 2021
- Washington's Antonio Gibson (shoulder) limited on Wednesday September 22nd, 2021
- Antonio Gibson (shoulder) active for Football Team Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Antonio Gibson (shoulder) upgraded for Football Team September 14th, 2021
- Football Team's Antonio Gibson (shoulder) "limited" Monday September 13th, 2021
- Washington's Ryan Fitzpatrick (hip) expected to miss 6-8 weeks September 13th, 2021
- Ryan Fitzpatrick (hip) lands on Football Team injured reserve September 13th, 2021