Michael Carter tabbed 'eventual 1A' for Jets backfield
New York Jets fourth-round rookie running back Michael Carter is expected to emerge as the "eventual 1A" in the Jets' backfield, writes Connor Hughes of The Athletic.
The Jets are expected to use a backfield rotation this season consisting of Carter, Tevin Coleman, and Ty Johnson. Carter was also limited to committee work in college, and at 5-foot-8 and 201 pounds, the fourth-round pick may not have the size to handle a workhorse role in the NFL. That being said, Hughes believes Carter's catching ability separates him from Coleman and Johnson, and will result in the rookie earning the most touches in the backfield.
numberFire's models currently project Carter to lead the Jets' backfield across the board as a rookie, with 138.3 carries, 594.6 rush yards, 35.2 catches (47.2 targets), 243.4 receiving yards, and 5.13 touchdowns. Coleman is projected for 114.7 carries and 12.6 catches, with Johnson pegged for 83.2 rush attempts and 10.3 receptions. Carter is the RB34 in our preseason fantasy rankings, followed by Coleman (RB48) and then Johnson (RB59).
- 49ers' JaMycal Hasty (ankle) placed on injured reserve September 25th, 2021
- Buccaneers' Antonio Brown (Covid-19) officially ruled out for Week 3 September 25th, 2021
- Dolphins place Tua Tagovailoa (broken ribs) on injured reserve, eligible to return in Week 6 September 25th, 2021
- Eagles activate Zach Ertz off COVID-19 reserve list on Saturday September 25th, 2021
- Rapoport: Carson Wentz (ankle) expected to start for Colts in Week 3 September 24th, 2021
- Rapoport: Christian McCaffrey (hamstring) expected to miss multiple weeks for Panthers September 24th, 2021
- Jets' Tevin Coleman (illness) out for Week 3's matchup against Denver September 24th, 2021
- Jamison Crowder (groin) DNP for Jets on Thursday September 23rd, 2021
- Jets' Jamison Crowder (groin) DNP on Wednesday September 22nd, 2021
- Jets' Denzel Mims inactive for Week 2 showdown with New England September 19th, 2021
- Jets' Jamison Crowder (groin) inactive for Week 2 September 19th, 2021
- Jets' Keelan Cole (knee) questionable for Week 2 clash with Patriots September 17th, 2021