49ers' Brandon Aiyuk "still learning how to be a pro"
NBC Sports' Matt Maiocco reports that San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk's play "tailed off dramatically" towards the end of camp, and that the second-year receiver is "still learning how to be a pro".
Aiyuk was one of the most surprising fantasy no-shows in Week 1 of the NFL season, noticeably playing behind Arizona Cardinals castoff Trent Sherfield in Sunday's win over the Detroit Lions. Aiyuk has seemingly joined teammate Trey Sermon in head coach Kyle Shanahan's infamous dog house, which we've previously seen end second-round pick Dante Pettis' tenure with the team. This will be an important situation to monitor early on this season.
Unlike Sermon, who was a surprise healthy scratch, Aiyuk did still manage to see the field Sunday, playing just under 50% of the team's offensive snaps. However, he was unable to draw a target in his time on the field, and is now more of a bench-stash candidate for season-long leagues than the every-week-starter many projected him to become this season. With Deebo Samuel dominating the receiver opportunities in Week 1, Aiyuk will be stuck battling Sherfield for the WR2 role (at least to start the season).
- Tennessee's Julio Jones (hamstring) sidelined on Wednesday October 20th, 2021
- Ricky Seals-Jones sits out Football Team practice Wednesday October 20th, 2021
- Buccaneers' Rob Gronkowski (ribs) DNP on Wednesday October 20th, 2021
- Curtis Samuel (groin) remains idle for Football Team October 20th, 2021
- Terry McLaurin (hamstring) sitting out Washington's first practice October 20th, 2021
- Antonio Gibson (shin) sitting out Washington practice Wednesday October 20th, 2021
- 49ers' Trey Lance (knee) DNP on Wednesday, not expected to play in Week 7 October 20th, 2021
- Jimmy Garoppolo (calf) limited for 49ers on Wednesday, expected to be available for Week 7 October 20th, 2021
- Trey Lance not spotted at 49ers' practice Monday October 18th, 2021
- 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo (calf) back at practice ahead of Week 7 October 18th, 2021
- Jimmy Garoppolo (calf) 'doing good' on 49ers bye October 12th, 2021
- 49ers' Trey Lance sprained left knee in Week 5 October 11th, 2021