Trey Sermon to be active Sunday for 49ers
San Francisco 49ers rookie running back Trey Sermon will be active for Week 2 against the Philadelphia Eagles, offensive coordinator Mike McDaniels said.
Sermon was a surprising healthy scratch in Week 1 against the Detroit Lions. McDaniels said Sermon displayed "extra aggressiveness" in practice this week in response to that decision. "Kyle [Shanahan] always says to the players and coaches, ‘Don’t tell me, show me.’ And (Sermon) showed, I think, all of us that he really wants an opportunity, which he’ll get this Sunday," McDaniels said. Elijah Mitchell is expected to be the 49ers' lead back after he stepped up with 19 rushes for 104 yards and a touchdown last week, following Raheem Mostert's season-ending injury. Sermon, a third-round pick, could earn more opportunities as the year progresses if Mitchell doesn't complete seize the starting gig.
numberFire's models project Sermon for 6.3 touches in his first NFL game and he has a $5,500 salary on FanDuel in Week 1. Mitchell is expected to lead the way for the 49ers with 16.1 carries. The Eagles defense is No. 21 in Rushing Net Expected Points allowed per carry.
- Tennessee's Julio Jones (hamstring) sidelined on Wednesday October 20th, 2021
- Ricky Seals-Jones sits out Football Team practice Wednesday October 20th, 2021
- Buccaneers' Rob Gronkowski (ribs) DNP on Wednesday October 20th, 2021
- Curtis Samuel (groin) remains idle for Football Team October 20th, 2021
- Terry McLaurin (hamstring) sitting out Washington's first practice October 20th, 2021
- Antonio Gibson (shin) sitting out Washington practice Wednesday October 20th, 2021
- 49ers' Trey Lance (knee) DNP on Wednesday, not expected to play in Week 7 October 20th, 2021
- Jimmy Garoppolo (calf) limited for 49ers on Wednesday, expected to be available for Week 7 October 20th, 2021
- Trey Lance not spotted at 49ers' practice Monday October 18th, 2021
- 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo (calf) back at practice ahead of Week 7 October 18th, 2021
- Jimmy Garoppolo (calf) 'doing good' on 49ers bye October 12th, 2021
- 49ers' Trey Lance sprained left knee in Week 5 October 11th, 2021