Bucs expected to franchise tag Chris Godwin (ACL)
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reportedly expected to apply the franchise tag to impending free agent wide receiver Chris Godwin (ACL).
Godwin, who suffered a torn ACL injury in Week 15 of the 2021 NFL season, is scheduled to become a free agent this offseason. Even with his injury, the Bucs would clearly like to retain his services for the long-term. With Tuesday's franchise tag deadline approaching quickly, expect either a long-term extension or a franchise tag for Godwin in the very near future.
Godwin has been one of the most productive receivers in the league since the Bucs drafted him in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft. After posting 1,333 yards and 9 scores with Jameis Winston in 2019, he quickly became a favorite target of Tom Brady; the pair connected for 163 catches, 1,943 yards, and 12 scores in the past two regular seasons. While the recovery from his torn ACL may keep him sidelined in the early parts of the season, the Bucs seem to be making it clear that he's a vital part of their long-term plans.
- Baker Mayfield traded to Panthers July 6th, 2022
- Allen Lazard "getting an opportunity" to be Packers WR1 July 3rd, 2022
- Browns' Kareem Hunt feels '100 percent' healthy June 29th, 2022
- Terry McLaurin signs three-year $71 million contract extension with Washington June 29th, 2022
- Giants' Kadarius Toney (knee) a surprise PUP-list candidate June 27th, 2022
- Chargers' Austin Ekeler excited for increased backfield competition June 27th, 2022
- Cade Otton 'best option' for Buccaneers No. 1 tight end June 27th, 2022
- Buccaneers' Russell Gage expected to step in as No. 2 WR June 24th, 2022
- Auman: 'Wouldn't be surprised' if Tampa Bay's Chris Godwin (knee) opens season on PUP list June 24th, 2022
- Buccaneers' Rob Gronkowski announces second retirement June 22nd, 2022
- Free agent Antonio Brown unlikely to return for 2022 season May 29th, 2022
- Chris Godwin signs three-year deal with Buccaneers March 17th, 2022