Pats' Jonnu Smith expected to participate in voluntary offseason program
New England Patriots tight end Jonnu Smith plans to be a full participant in the team's voluntary offseason program, ESPN's Mike Reiss reports.
Smith did not participate in the Pats' offseason program leading up to his first season with the team due to the birth of his daughter and the league's tighter COVID-19 protocols, but plans to attend this year's program ahead of the 2022 NFL season. The athletic tight end didn't quite live up to the expectations set for him when the team signed him to a market-topping deal, at times appearing out of sync with his teammates on offense. Another year in the system could hopefully lead to a true second year breakout in New England.
Smith was overshadowed by fellow free agent signing Hunter Henry in their first year with the team, but it was clear that the team had high hopes for Smith's dynamic skill set; Smith notched a career-high 9 carries in 2021, taking them for 40 yards. Unfortunately, he fell short as a pass-catcher, catching 28 of 45 targets for 294 yards and 1 touchdown. He'll look to build on that in the 2022 season.
- Ravens' Lamar Jackson (quad) limited on Wednesday November 30th, 2022
- Raheem Mostert (knee) limited Wednesday for Dolphins November 30th, 2022
- Eagles' DeVonta Smith (groin) limited on Wednesday November 30th, 2022
- J.K. Dobbins (knee) returns to Ravens practice Wednesday November 30th, 2022
- Travis Etienne (foot) limited in Jaguars' Wednesday practice November 30th, 2022
- Romeo Doubs (ankle) returns to Packers practice Wednesday November 30th, 2022
- Patriots list Jakobi Meyers (shoulder) as questionable for Week 13's matchup versus Bills November 30th, 2022
- Patriots' Damien Harris (thigh) out for Week 13 November 30th, 2022
- New England's Damien Harris (thigh) absent for Tuesday's practice November 29th, 2022
- Update: Patriots' Damien Harris (thigh) now week-to-week, unlikely to play in Week 13 November 28th, 2022
- Jakobi Meyers (shoulder) limited on Patriots' estimated Monday injury report November 28th, 2022
- Patriots' Damien Harris (thigh) not practicing Monday November 28th, 2022