Steelers' Chase Claypool hoping for more 'down the field' plays going forward
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Chase Claypool told reporters that he thinks the team "could throw it down the field," following Sunday's Week 2 loss to the New England Patriots.
"I think we were calling good plays today and all that but I just think we could throw it down the field," Claypool said following the loss. The Steelers' offense has not appeared to have changed much since Ben Roethlisberger's uninspiring final two seasons as the starting quarterback, with starting quarterback Mitchell Trubisky averaging just 5.2 air yards per completed pass attempt, the eighth-lowest mark among quarterbacks in the league.
Claypool himself has an average depth of target of just 5.7 yards, which ranks outside the top 100 among pass-catchers in the league. The talented third-year receiver has been more involved in the team's offense than he was in his disappointing sophomore season, but - like the rest of his teammates - would stand to benefit from more opportunities for explosive plays.
- Ravens' Lamar Jackson (quad) limited on Wednesday November 30th, 2022
- Raheem Mostert (knee) limited Wednesday for Dolphins November 30th, 2022
- Eagles' DeVonta Smith (groin) limited on Wednesday November 30th, 2022
- J.K. Dobbins (knee) returns to Ravens practice Wednesday November 30th, 2022
- Travis Etienne (foot) limited in Jaguars' Wednesday practice November 30th, 2022
- Romeo Doubs (ankle) returns to Packers practice Wednesday November 30th, 2022
- Bears' Justin Fields (shoulder) limited on Wednesday November 30th, 2022
- Bears place Darnell Mooney (ankle) on injured reserve, will miss remainder of season November 29th, 2022
- Bears' Darnell Mooney (ankle) will not return this season November 28th, 2022
- Bears' Darnell Mooney (ankle) doubtful to return in Week 12 November 27th, 2022
- Bears reverse course, Trevor Siemian (oblique) to start at quarterback for Week 12 November 27th, 2022
- Nathan Peterman starting for Bears in Week 12; Trevor Siemian (oblique) scratched November 27th, 2022