Taylor Heinicke on backup duty again Week 18 for Washington
Washington Commanders quarterback Taylor Heinicke will be the backup to rookie Sam Howell in Week 18 against the Dallas Cowboys, per head coach Ron Rivera.
Heinicke will remain on backup duty to close out the season, but it will be behind Howell instead of Carson Wentz. A previous report said Heinicke was expected to start and that Howell would be the backup. Howell, a fifth-round rookie, hasn't played in the regular season.
Among the 44 quarterbacks with at least 100 drop backs this season, Heinicke is 31st and Wentz is 32nd in Passing Net Expected Points per attempt (negative-0.02). Howell will have a tough task versus a Cowboys team that has the No. 5 pass defense and No. 3 overall defense in numberFire's season-long adjusted team rankings. Dallas is also allowing the seventh-fewest FanDuel points per game to the quarterback position this season.
- Irv Smith Jr. agreeing on deal with Bengals March 28th, 2023
- Saints' Michael Thomas (toe) still recovering March 28th, 2023
- Panthers' D.J. Chark underwent recent ankle surgery March 28th, 2023
- Broncos 'won't know...for a while' about Javonte Williams' (knee) health March 27th, 2023
- Bills want Josh Allen (elbow) taking fewer hits in 2023 March 27th, 2023
- Ravens' John Harbaugh a 'big believer' in Rashod Bateman (foot) March 27th, 2023
- Patriots send tight end Jonnu Smith to Falcons via trade March 13th, 2023
- Falcons release Marcus Mariota February 28th, 2023
- Drake London (foot) returns for Falcons in Week 18 January 8th, 2023
- Falcons' Drake London (foot) questionable to return in Week 18 January 8th, 2023
- Falcons' Caleb Huntley (Achilles) done for 2022 season December 19th, 2022
- Falcons' Marcus Mariota (knee) ruled out for the season December 14th, 2022