Giants 'will continue to negotiate' with running back Saquon Barkley
ESPN's Jordan Ranaan reports that the New York Giants "will continue to negotiate" with running back Saquon Barkley on a potential long-term deal.
The Giants applied the franchise tag to Barkley just before the official deadline and only after they were able to work out a new contract with quarterback Daniel Jones, but it seems like the team is still interested in ensuring that Barkley stays with their squad for longer than just the one season the tag allows for. The second-overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft played a critical role in the team's surprising success in the 2022 season.
Barkley put up 1,650 yards from scrimmage and amassed 10 touchdowns in his 2022 campaign, his best season since his debut in 2018. The star back could have commanded a large contract if he had been able to hit the open market, but has also previously expressed a desire to remain with the Giants. Gary Brightwell is currently the only other running back the team has under contract for the 2023 NFL season.
- Packers' Jayden Reed (chest) limited during Thursday practice session December 7th, 2023
- A.J. Dillon (groin) limited for Packers Thursday December 7th, 2023
- Seattle's Kenneth Walker (oblique) limited on Thursday December 7th, 2023
- Seahawks' Zach Charbonnet (knee) limited on Thursday December 7th, 2023
- Rams' Puka Nacua (shoulder) logs full practice on Thursday December 7th, 2023
- Steelers' Najee Harris (knee) active for Week 14 December 7th, 2023
- Giants' Darren Waller (hamstring) hoping for Week 15 return December 6th, 2023
- Giants will start Tommy DeVito at quarterback in Week 14 December 5th, 2023
- Giants open 21-day practice window for Tyrod Taylor (ribs) ahead of Week 14 December 4th, 2023
- Tyrod Taylor (ribs) returning to Giants practice Monday December 4th, 2023
- Giants' Darius Slayton (neck) doubtful for Week 12 November 24th, 2023
- Darius Slayton (arm) won't return in Week 11 for New York November 19th, 2023