Vikings have "no doubt" about Alexander Mattison as primary back
The Minnesota Vikings have "no doubt" about running back Alexander Mattison's ability to be the primary ball carrier, according to offense coordinator Wes Phillips.
Asked about Mattison's role as a primary back, Phillips said "I think he's proven it over his career, when he's gotten opportunities, and he's been very productive, He just always knows what he's going to do. And then he's a talented back when he's running forward. He's got more wiggle than I think some people give him credit for. There's a lot of times where the free guy in the hole, the eighth guy, he made him miss last year, and then he made some plays in the passing game as well. So it was kind of a no-brainer for us to get Alex back." Mattison signed a two-year, $7 million contract in free agency to remain in Minnesota, after which the Vikings release Dalvin Cook.
Mattison's 2023-24 season projection includes 250.31 carries for 1,094.27 rushing yards and 7.84 rushing touchdowns with 30.36 receptions for 198.51 receiving yards and 1.54 receiving touchdowns.
- Wilson: Houston's Noah Brown (knee) expected to play in Week 14 December 9th, 2023
- Giants list Daniel Bellinger (illness) as questionable in Week 14 December 9th, 2023
- New York's Parris Campbell (knee) questionable in Week 14 December 9th, 2023
- Schultz: Seattle's Geno Smith (groin) 'tracking to be a game-time decision' in Week 14 December 9th, 2023
- Derrick Henry (rest) good to go in Week 14 for Titans December 9th, 2023
- Buffalo's Dawson Knox (wrist) activated off injured reserve on Saturday December 9th, 2023
- Justin Jefferson (hamstring) not listed on Vikings' Week 14 injury report December 8th, 2023
- Vikings' Justin Jefferson (hamstring) logs full practice on Wednesday December 6th, 2023
- Josh Dobbs to remain Vikings starter in Week 14 December 6th, 2023
- Rapoport: Vikings will activate Justin Jefferson (hamstring) off injured reserve on Tuesday, expected to play in Week 14 November 28th, 2023
- Vikings rule out Justin Jefferson (hamstring) for Week 12 November 27th, 2023
- Vikings' Ty Chandler to continue having 'enhanced role' in Week 12 November 27th, 2023