Patriots' Jarrett Stidham on 'inside track' for starting job
New England Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham "appears to have the inside track on the Patriots' starting job," writes Jeff Howe of The Athletic.
Howe acknowledges that things could change, but Brian Hoyer and Cody Kessler are the only other quarterbacks on the roster and the Patriots reportedly aren't interested in any of the remaining free agents. It's also unlikely that they select a Week 1 starter in the draft, setting Stidham up as the favorite. He was taken 133rd overall last year and attempted just 4 passes in the regular season as a rookie.
Stidham completed 61-of-91 passes (67.0 percent) for 731 yards (8.0 per attempt) with 4 touchdowns and 1 interception last preseason. He had the sixth-highest overall passing grade (72.2) and second-best adjusted completion percentage (84.1) on Pro Football Focus among the 20 quarterbacks with at least 68 preseason dropbacks.
- Chiefs, Chris Jones reportedly not close on long-term contract May 28th, 2020
- Matt Judon signs Ravens' franchise tag Thursday May 28th, 2020
- Eli Apple signs 1-year deal with Carolina May 28th, 2020
- DeAndre Hopkins envisions better numbers in Arizona May 28th, 2020
- Ravens say all running backs have role May 28th, 2020
- Justice Hill to make 'big jump' for Ravens May 28th, 2020
- Patriots unsure about bottom of wide receiver depth chart May 26th, 2020
- Patriots could ask cornerback Joejuan Williams to take on multiple roles May 24th, 2020
- Jeff Thomas has 'best chance' among Patriots' UDFA wideouts May 22nd, 2020
- Patrick Chung reportedly extends with Patriots through 2023 May 20th, 2020
- Patriots tackle Yodny Cajuste "healthy and good to go" May 17th, 2020
- Patriots sought assurance before Devin Asiasi trade up May 13th, 2020