Jarrad Davis still considered 'cornerstone' of Lions organization
Detroit Lions linebacker Jarrad Davis is considered a "cornerstone" player for the organization, per head coach Matt Patricia.
“I think JD is a cornerstone of what we’re trying to do, and he’s in those big-picture plans of where we’re trying to go,” Patricia said. “Just (trying to) make sure we have the best season we can this year and then just go from there. And he’s, you know, JD is by far, he’s a solid (as a) rock leader. Everything-you-want-in-the-program type of guy." This is a bit of a surprise after the Lions just declined Davis' fifth-year team option for 2021. He hasn't moved the needle much through three seasons and missed five games last year with an ankle injury. The 2017 first-rounder has 10.0 sacks, 18 tackles for loss, 19 quarterback hits, 1 interception, 5 forced fumbles, and 3 fumble recoveries through 41 career games.
Davis received a career-low overall defensive grade of 40.4 from Pro Football Focus last season, tied for second-worst among 63 linebackers to play at least 500 defensive snaps. He does make positive contributions as a pass-rusher, ranking 12th in that same group last year with a grade of 72.8. Davis has earned a plus-70.0 pass-rushing grade all three years in the league.
- Giants' Nick Gates fractures leg in first quarter Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Pharaoh Brown (shoulder, ankle) DNP for Houston Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Steelers' Eric Ebron (hamstring) DNP Thursday September 16th, 2021
- D'Andre Swift (groin) limited for Lions on Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Miami's Will Fuller (personal) absent on Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Antonio Gibson (shoulder) active for Football Team Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Jamison Crowder (groin) limited for Jets Thursday September 16th, 2021
- Jamison Crowder (COVID) could return for Jets in Week 2 September 13th, 2021
- Jets losing top OL Mekhi Becton (knee) 4-6 weeks September 13th, 2021
- Jets' Keelan Cole (knee) ruled out for Week 1 September 12th, 2021
- Jets' Keelan Cole (knee) questionable for Week 1 clash with Panthers September 10th, 2021
- Jamison Crowder (COVID) ruled out for Jets in Week 1 September 10th, 2021