Jalen Hurts pegged as Eagles' QB3
Philadelphia Eagles second-round rookie quarterback Jalen Hurts is third on the depth chart, per head coach Doug Pederson.
"Early on in this season, teams are going to have to rely on their veterans, and Nate (Sudfeld) is one of those guys for us," Pederson said. "I have a ton of confidence in Nate becoming our backup QB." He added that Hurts needs to "learn and pick up our system." Despite being taken in the second round, Hurts will have to work his way up the depth chart. The COVID-19 restrictions are preventing Hurts from getting in reps with his new teammates and Sudfeld already has continuity with the Eagles' system. If Carson Wentz were to miss time again, Sudfeld appears to be the next man up. Hurts may still see occasional manufactured touches as a running back and/or wide receiver. He threw 32 touchdowns in 14 games as a senior at Oklahoma. Hurts also ran for 1,298 yards and 20 scores, plus one receiving score.
Hurts led the nation in yards per attempt (11.5) on non-play action passes and was second in adjusted yards per attempt (12.2) in his senior season. He also led the country in red zone rushing touchdowns (17) and finished with Pro Football Focus's fourth-best overall grade. Furthermore, per PFF, 46.2 percent of Hurts' throws traveled at least 10 yards in the air, a higher rate than any of the other top quarterbacks in this class.
- Giants' Saquon Barkley (knee) unlikely to be "totally unleashed" against Washington in Week 2 September 15th, 2021
- Rapoport: Jerry Jeudy (ankle) probably out 6 weeks for Broncos September 15th, 2021
- Ravens 'going to play all those guys' in four-man backfield September 15th, 2021
- Lions' Tyrell Williams (concussion) DNP on Wednesday September 15th, 2021
- Raiders' Josh Jacobs (toe/ankle) sidelined on Wednesday September 15th, 2021
- Odell Beckham (knee) ruled out again for Browns in Week 2 September 15th, 2021
- Eagles list Miles Sanders (ankle/rest) as limited on Wednesday September 15th, 2021
- Philadelphia's Zach Ertz (hamstring/rest) DNP on Wednesday September 15th, 2021
- Frank: Philadelphia's Kenneth Gainwell reportedly 'going to play a lot this year' August 28th, 2021
- Eagles' Travis Fulgham may be fighting for roster spot August 27th, 2021
- Eagles' Quez Watkins working in slot with starters August 25th, 2021
- Eagles' Jalen Hurts (stomach illness) practices on Sunday August 22nd, 2021