Washington confirms Taylor Heinicke as Thursday starter
Washington Football Team quarterback Taylor Heinicke will start Week 2 against the New York Giants on Thursday night.
Heinicke replaced Ryan Fitzpatrick (hip) in the second quarter on Sunday and went on to complete 11-of-15 passes for 122 yards and a touchdown, and he added 17 rushing yards. The Football Team placed Fitzpatrick on injured reserve Monday, so Heinicke is in line to start at least the next three games. Brandon Allen is the backup and Washington head coach Ron Rivera said the team isn't looking to add another quarterback. Thursday will be only the third start of Heinicke's career, including the playoffs, but the switch can be seen as an upgrade for Washington's offense.
Heinicke averaged -0.01 Passing Net Expected Points per drop back in relief on Sunday, compared to Fitzpatrick's average of -0.71, which was lowest among all quarterbacks. Terry McLaurin was targeted on 26.7 percent of Heinicke's attempts. The Giants gave up the eighth-most Passing NEP per drop back among all defenses Sunday.
- Glazer: Browns' Baker Mayfield also dealing with fractured shoulder October 21st, 2021
- Seattle's Alex Collins (groin) DNP on Thursday October 21st, 2021
- Denver's Teddy Bridgewater (foot) available for Thursday's Week 7 matchup against Cleveland October 21st, 2021
- Noah Fant (foot) officially cleared for Broncos Thursday night October 21st, 2021
- Odell Beckham (shoulder) reportedly active for Browns Thursday night October 21st, 2021
- Tre'Quan Smith (hamstring) practicing Thursday for Saints October 21st, 2021
- Terry McLaurin (hamstring) limited Thursday for Football Team October 21st, 2021
- Curtis Samuel (groin) DNP again for Washington October 21st, 2021
- Washington's Ricky Seals-Jones (quad) returns to practice Thursday October 21st, 2021
- Ricky Seals-Jones sits out Football Team practice Wednesday October 20th, 2021
- Curtis Samuel (groin) remains idle for Football Team October 20th, 2021
- Terry McLaurin (hamstring) sitting out Washington's first practice October 20th, 2021