Rapoport: Baker Mayfield favorite to win Panthers' job
Carolina Panthers quarterback Baker Mayfield is the favorite to win the starting job, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Rapoport says Mayfield's "understanding" of the offense and "command" in the Panthers' locker room have put the quarterback in position to start Week 1 against the Cleveland Browns. Sam Darnold could still theoretically steal the job away with a stellar preseason showing, but it looks like Mayfield's first start for Carolina will be against his former team. A healthy Mayfield should prove to be an upgrade for the Panthers' pass-catchers and Christian McCaffrey.
Baker is currently the QB27 in numberFire's preseason projections and our models project him for 3,914.2 passing yards, 23.03 touchdowns, and 15.6 interceptions this season, with 192.3 rushing yards and 1.51 touchdowns. Among the 44 quarterbacks with at least 100 drop backs last season, Baker ranked 33rd in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back (0.00) while Darnold ranked 38th (negative-0.10).
- Chiefs' Mecole Hardman (pelvis) unlikely to play in Super Bowl February 2nd, 2023
- Dolphins' Tua Tagovailoa clears concussion protocol February 1st, 2023
- Chiefs' Mecole Hardman (pelvis) idle for Wednesday practice February 1st, 2023
- JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) DNP for Chiefs' first Super Bowl practice February 1st, 2023
- Kadarius Toney (ankle) sits out Chiefs practice Wednesday February 1st, 2023
- Tom Brady announces second retirement February 1st, 2023
- Tyler Higbee (elbow) expected to play in Rams' Week 17 matchup December 31st, 2022
- Ben Skowronek (calf) out for remainder of Rams' 2022 season December 20th, 2022
- Schefter: Rams expected to start Baker Mayfield in Week 15 December 13th, 2022
- John Wolford (neck) officially starting for Rams in Week 14; Baker Mayfield expected to see time December 8th, 2022
- John Wolford (neck) in line to start Thursday for Rams December 8th, 2022
- Rams' Brandon Powell (illness) active Thursday for Week 14 December 8th, 2022