Rapoport: Baker Mayfield favorite to win Panthers' job
Carolina Panthers quarterback Baker Mayfield is the favorite to win the starting job, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
Rapoport says Mayfield's "understanding" of the offense and "command" in the Panthers' locker room have put the quarterback in position to start Week 1 against the Cleveland Browns. Sam Darnold could still theoretically steal the job away with a stellar preseason showing, but it looks like Mayfield's first start for Carolina will be against his former team. A healthy Mayfield should prove to be an upgrade for the Panthers' pass-catchers and Christian McCaffrey.
Baker is currently the QB27 in numberFire's preseason projections and our models project him for 3,914.2 passing yards, 23.03 touchdowns, and 15.6 interceptions this season, with 192.3 rushing yards and 1.51 touchdowns. Among the 44 quarterbacks with at least 100 drop backs last season, Baker ranked 33rd in Passing Net Expected Points per drop back (0.00) while Darnold ranked 38th (negative-0.10).
- A.J. Dillon (knee) limited for Packers on Wednesday September 28th, 2022
- Ravens list J.K. Dobbins (chest) as a limited participant on Wednesday September 28th, 2022
- Eagles list Miles Sanders (hip) as limited during Wednesday's practice September 28th, 2022
- Chargers' Justin Herbert (ribs) logs limited practice on Wednesday September 28th, 2022
- Keenan Allen (hamstring) limited for Chargers' Wednesday practice September 28th, 2022
- Denver's Melvin Gordon (neck) limited on Wednesday September 28th, 2022
- Carolina's Christian McCaffrey (quad) DNP on Wednesday September 28th, 2022
- Christian McCaffrey (ankle) good to go for Panthers September 23rd, 2022
- Carolina's Christian McCaffrey (ankle) limited during Thursday's practice September 22nd, 2022
- Christian McCaffrey (shin) not listed on Carolina's Week 1 injury report September 9th, 2022
- Panthers' Christian McCaffrey (shin) logs full practice on Thursday September 8th, 2022
- Robbie Anderson (quad) not listed on Carolina's Wednesday injury report September 7th, 2022