Broncos add Chase Edmonds to backfield in trade with Dolphins
The Miami Dolphins traded running back Chase Edmonds, a 2023 first-round pick, and a 2024 fourth-round pick (via the San Francisco 49ers) to the Denver Broncos for pass rusher Bradley Chubb and a 2025 fifth-round pick.
Edmonds fell out of favor in Miami, but he figures to compete with Melvin Gordon and Latavius Murray for the lead job in the Broncos' backfield committee. The 26-year-old only ran the ball 30 times in the last seven games after a 12-carry opener. The Dolphins acquired Jeff Wilson from the San Francisco 49ers in a separate transaction.
Edmonds was a backup on a Dolphins team that runs the ball at the seventh-lowest rate in the league (36.7%), but he will now have an opportunity to play a larger role in an offense that is 15th in run rate (41.5%). However, that doesn't mean Edmonds will be able to take advantage of the situation, as he ranks second-worst in Rushing Net Expected Points per carry among all backs with 40 attempts this season. The only qualifying back behind Edmonds is Gordon.
- Update: Josh Johnson (concussion) ruled out for 49ers in NFC Championship Game; Brock Purdy (elbow) remains at quarterback January 29th, 2023
- Mecole Hardman (pelvis) will play in AFC Championship Game for Kansas City January 29th, 2023
- Travis Kelce (back) active for Chiefs in AFC Championship Game January 29th, 2023
- 49ers' Josh Johnson being evaluated for concussion in NFC Championship Game, Brock Purdy (elbow) back in January 29th, 2023
- 49ers' Elijah Mitchell (ankle) out for NFC Championship on Sunday January 29th, 2023
- Chiefs' Travis Kelce (back) expected to play in AFC Championship game Sunday January 29th, 2023
- Jerry Jeudy (ankle) active in Week 17 for Broncos January 1st, 2023
- Denver's Greg Dulcich (hamstring) placed on injured reserve, out for remainder of 2022 season December 30th, 2022
- Broncos' Jerry Jeudy (ankle) questionable for Week 17 December 30th, 2022
- Denver's Greg Dulcich (hamstring) DNP on Thursday December 29th, 2022
- Latavius Murray (foot) active for Broncos in Week 16 December 25th, 2022
- Courtland Sutton (hamstring) active for Broncos in Week 16 December 25th, 2022