Giants: Saquon Barkley (ankle) trending towards game-time call
New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley (ankle) is expected to be a game-time decision on Thursday night against the San Francisco 49ers in Week 3, per head coach Brian Daboll.
Daboll said Tuesday that Barkley "feels a lot better today" and has made "considerable progress" with the ankle injury he sustained in Week 2 versus the Arizona Cardinals. Barkley was reportedly expected to miss three weeks on Tuesday, so it would be a big surprise if he's able to suit up on Thursday in San Francisco. Matt Breida is expected to lead a backfield committee that includes Gary Brightwell and Eric Gray if Barkley is ruled out.
The 49ers’ pass defense and overall defense both rank in the top-five based on numberFire’s opponent-adjusted NEP model, but their run defense is third-worst, so the Giants may be able to find some surprise success on the ground if they can maintain a neutral game script. That will likely be difficult on the road as 10.0-point underdogs. Our models project Breida for 11.1, Brightwell for 7.5, and Gray for 3.2 touches on Thursday night.
- Zach Charbonnet (knee) DNP for Seattle on Wednesday December 6th, 2023
- Seattle's Kenneth Walker (oblique) DNP on Wednesday December 6th, 2023
- Patrick Beverley coming off Philadelphia's bench on Wednesday December 6th, 2023
- Ravens' Rashod Bateman (illness) DNP on Wednesday December 6th, 2023
- C.J. Beathard (shoulder) limited for Jacksonville on Wednesday December 6th, 2023
- Rams' Tyler Higbee (neck) DNP on Wednesday December 6th, 2023
- Giants' Darren Waller (hamstring) hoping for Week 15 return December 6th, 2023
- Giants will start Tommy DeVito at quarterback in Week 14 December 5th, 2023
- Giants open 21-day practice window for Tyrod Taylor (ribs) ahead of Week 14 December 4th, 2023
- Tyrod Taylor (ribs) returning to Giants practice Monday December 4th, 2023
- Giants' Darius Slayton (neck) doubtful for Week 12 November 24th, 2023
- Darius Slayton (arm) won't return in Week 11 for New York November 19th, 2023