Senators acquire Derick Brassard from Rangers for Mika Zibanejad
The Ottawa Senators have acquired center Derick Brassard and a 2018 seventh round pick from the New York Rangers in exchange for center Mika Zibanejad and a 2018 second round selection.
Brassard tallied seven more points than Zibanejad did last season (58 points to 51) in one less game played, but Zibanejad is much younger, by roughly five-and-a-half years. This means the Rangers are potentially downgrading in the middle of the ice in the short-term, but it might come with a payoff that helps for years to come. Another downside for the Rangers is that they lost some cost certainty with the move. Brassard has three seasons remaining on a reasonable five-year, $25 million contract, while Zibanejad can become a restricted free agent after next season and will likely require a raise to his current cap hit of $2,625,000.
Brassard broke the 20 goal mark last season for the first time in his career (27 goals) in 80 games played, but he was poor at driving possession. His Corsi For Percentage was just 47.6 and his Relative Corsi For Percentage at Even Strength was 0.8. Zibanejad's 21 goals and 30 assists were both career highs, but he too was not good at driving possession. His Corsi For Percentage was 48.9 and his Relative Corsi For Percentage at Even Strength was 1.4.
- NHL suspends 2019-2020 season March 12th, 2020
- Blues take home first Stanley Cup in franchise history June 13th, 2019
- Nikita Kucherov signs 8-year extension with Lightning July 10th, 2018
- Kings, Drew Doughty agree to eight-year extension June 30th, 2018
- John Carlson, Capitals agree to 8-year extension June 25th, 2018
- Sharks sign Evander Kane to massive seven-year deal May 24th, 2018
- Antti Raanta starting between the pipes for the Coyotes on Thursday October 12th, 2017
- Antti Raanta will start for Coyotes in Las Vegas on Tuesday October 10th, 2017
- Coyotes' Louis Domingue gets the start on the road against Anaheim October 5th, 2017
- Arizona putting Louis Domingue in goal versus the Canucks April 6th, 2017
- Coyotes giving Mike Smith a road start in Dallas April 4th, 2017
- Louis Domingue will be in net as Arizona hosts Washington March 31st, 2017