Saints see Tommy Stevens as "bigger Taysom Hill"
The New Orleans Saints drafted Mississippi State quarterback Tommy Stevens with a definitive plan in place, according to Jeff Duncan of The Athletic.
In a story outlining how the Saints came to select the 23-year-old, head coach Sean Payton's passion was evident. He and his front office fought tooth and nail with the Carolina Panthers for the rights to sign Stevens as an undrafted free agent, with Payton calling the process his "project." The Saints identified Stevens as a "bigger Taysom Hill," leading to the belief that he could be used in a variety of roles as a rookie. And just after Payton traded into the seventh round of the draft (the Saints didn't have any picks before making a move), he texted Stevens' camp, “I’m tired of asking. Now, I’m taking.”
In nine games last season, Stevens threw for 1,155 yards with 11 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. He also ran the ball 83 times for 381 yards and 4 scores.
- Cowboys "might have some interest" in David Njoku July 3rd, 2020
- Browns tight end David Njoku has requested to be traded July 3rd, 2020
- Bengals defensive back Trae Waynes has not taken physical July 3rd, 2020
- 49ers' D.J. Reed suffers torn pectoral July 3rd, 2020
- Seahawks a potential landing spot for Antonio Brown July 3rd, 2020
- Browns' Jordan Elliott signs rookie contract July 2nd, 2020
- Saints: Alvin Kamara played through knee, ankle, back issues June 15th, 2020
- Saints' Chauncey Gardner-Johnson to mostly cover slot June 9th, 2020
- Eli Apple signs 1-year deal with Carolina May 28th, 2020
- Jay Glazer: Taysom Hill next in line for Saints May 20th, 2020
- Saints sign running back Ty Montgomery May 15th, 2020
- Saints release Pro Bowl guard Larry Warford May 8th, 2020