Patriots unsure about bottom of wide receiver depth chart
The New England Patriots' "competition is wide open for the fourth and fifth receiver jobs," writes Jeff Howe of The Athletic.
Howe says Jakobi Meyers and Gunner Olszewski have a slight advantage due to continuity, but Damiere Byrd, Marqise Lee, and undrafted free agents Will Hastings and Jeff Thomas are also in consideration. Meyers was fifth on the Patriots in targets (41) last season and averaged the most yards per target (8.8) out of anyone on the team with more than 11 targets.
Meyers is the next-highest ranked Patriots' wide receiver (WR111) in numberFire's models after the three starters. He's projected for 30.8 targets, 17.1 receptions, 240.9 yards, and 1.4 touchdowns. Bird (WR130) and Olszewski (WR131) are both outside our top-125 receivers.
- Jets' Gase reportedly wanted Marcus Maye dealt July 6th, 2020
- David Njoku reportedly 'big part' of Browns July 6th, 2020
- Patrick Mahomes signs 10-year, $450 million extension with Chiefs July 6th, 2020
- Chiefs expect 'big jump' from Damien Williams July 5th, 2020
- Lions sign second round pick D'Andre Swift to 4-year deal July 4th, 2020
- Bills' Gabriel Davis 'could be a plug-and-play weapon' this season July 4th, 2020
- Cam Newton arrives in New England to take physical July 4th, 2020
- Cam Newton only guaranteed $550K from Patriots July 2nd, 2020
- Howe: Cam Newton 'wasn't guaranteed the Patriots starting job' June 30th, 2020
- Cam Newton recommended to Patriots by Norv Turner June 29th, 2020
- Jarrett Stidham reportedly still in Patriots' QB competition June 29th, 2020
- Cam Newton reportedly agrees with Patriots on 1-year deal June 28th, 2020