Patriots unsure about bottom of wide receiver depth chart
The New England Patriots' "competition is wide open for the fourth and fifth receiver jobs," writes Jeff Howe of The Athletic.
Howe says Jakobi Meyers and Gunner Olszewski have a slight advantage due to continuity, but Damiere Byrd, Marqise Lee, and undrafted free agents Will Hastings and Jeff Thomas are also in consideration. Meyers was fifth on the Patriots in targets (41) last season and averaged the most yards per target (8.8) out of anyone on the team with more than 11 targets.
Meyers is the next-highest ranked Patriots' wide receiver (WR111) in numberFire's models after the three starters. He's projected for 30.8 targets, 17.1 receptions, 240.9 yards, and 1.4 touchdowns. Bird (WR130) and Olszewski (WR131) are both outside our top-125 receivers.
- Rapoport: Michael Thomas (ankle) expected to miss start of Saints season July 23rd, 2021
- Rapoport: Davante Adams, Packers break off extension talks July 23rd, 2021
- Cowboys' Amari Cooper (ankle) starts camp on PUP list July 22nd, 2021
- Kyle Rudolph (foot) opens training camp on Giants' PUP list July 22nd, 2021
- Giants' Saquon Barkley (knee) opens training camp on PUP list July 22nd, 2021
- Report: Zach Ertz now has 'great chance' to stay with Eagles July 21st, 2021
- Jonnu Smith (hamstring) reportedly will be ready for Patriots' training camp July 20th, 2021
- Damien Harris 'surefire No.1' in Patriots backfield July 13th, 2021
- N'Keal Harry requests trade from Patriots July 6th, 2021
- Patriots' Mac Jones forcing 'real competition' with Cam Newton June 21st, 2021
- Pats' Mac Jones playing behind Jarrett Stidham in "every period" June 14th, 2021
- Jakobi Meyers looking like Patriots' WR1 for camp June 14th, 2021