Rams trade Jared Goff, picks, to Lions for Matthew Stafford
The Los Angeles Rams will trade quarterback Jared Goff, in addition to two future first-round picks and a future third-round pick, to the Detroit Lions in return for quarterback Matthew Stafford.
The Rams are paying a small fortune to upgrade at the quarterback position and are now without first round picks for the next two seasons, but Goff's pricey contract certainly factored into the final agreement between the Rams and the Lions. The Rams organization clearly believes that Stafford is the final piece necessary to get them back to the Super Bowl, while the Lions will get a young quarterback and plenty of high-value draft picks to assist with their rebuild.
Goff will be walking into a situation full of uncertainty in Detroit. Wide receivers Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones Jr., and Danny Amendola will be entering free agency this offseason, leaving essentially just tight end T.J. Hockenson and 2020 fifth-round pick Quintez Cephus as the team's only returning pass catchers from last season. For a quarterback whose prior success was frequently attributed to his offensive play-caller, the 2021 season is shaping up to be Goff's most difficult season since his disastrous rookie year.
- Steelers' Diontae Johnson (knee) doing "better" after late-game scare Sunday September 21st, 2021
- Tomlin: Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger has a left pectoral injury September 21st, 2021
- Andy Dalton (knee) expected to sit for Bears in Week 3 September 21st, 2021
- Culley: Houston's Davis Mills will start in Week 3's matchup against Panthers September 21st, 2021
- Texans place Tyrod Taylor (hamstring) on injured reserve September 21st, 2021
- Browns place Jarvis Landry (knee) on IR September 21st, 2021
- T.J. Hockenson leads Lions, scores again September 21st, 2021
- Lions' Amon-Ra St. Brown records 18 yards September 21st, 2021
- Lions' Quintez Cephus scores early in loss September 21st, 2021
- Detroit's D'Andre Swift (groin) active for Monday night's matchup against Green Bay September 20th, 2021
- D'Andre Swift (groin) officially questionable for Monday night September 19th, 2021
- Lions' Tyrell Williams (concussion) ruled out for Week 2 September 18th, 2021