49ers' Trey Sermon exceeding expectations at OTAs
San Francisco 49ers rookie running back Trey Sermon is ahead of the curve at OTAs, writes to Jennifer Lee Chan of NBC Sports Bay Area.
The 49ers are limiting Raheem Mostert at this point in the offseason and Jeff Wilson (knee) is expected to be out through the start of the regular season, so Sermon is working as the lead back. He is already putting his dual-threat ability on display by both taking handoffs and catching passes out of the backfield. Sermon will likely be stuck in a committee to start the season, but he has the tools to eventually take over as a workhorse in Kyle Shanahan's scheme. The backfield roster also includes Wayne Gallman, JaMycal Hasty, and 2021 sixth-rounder Elijah Mitchell.
Sermon is currently the RB28 and Mostert is the RB31 in numberFire's preseason fantasy rankings. Our models project the third-rounder for 170.9 carries, 21.1 receptions, 931.9 yards, and 8.5 touchdowns. Mostert is expected to record 152.5 carries with 22.2 catches and Gallman is expected to siphon away 77.3 touches.
- Jaguars' Zay Jones (ankle) questionable for Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Broncos' Melvin Gordon (neck) available for Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Lions' T.J. Hockenson (foot) available for Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Jakobi Meyers (knee) questionable for Patriots' Week 4 matchup versus Packers September 30th, 2022
- Hunter Renfrow (concussion) remains out for Raiders in Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Detroit's D'Andre Swift (ankle/shoulder) ruled out in Week 4 September 30th, 2022
- Miles Sanders (hip) logs full practice Thursday for Eagles September 29th, 2022
- Eagles' DeVonta Smith (back) logs full practice on Thursday September 29th, 2022
- Eagles list Miles Sanders (hip) as limited during Wednesday's practice September 28th, 2022
- Philadelphia's Miles Sanders (hamstring) fully practices on Wednesday September 7th, 2022
- Eagles' Miles Sanders (hamstring) back at practice on Thursday September 1st, 2022
- Eagles claim running back Trey Sermon off waivers on Thursday September 1st, 2022