Bucs' Giovani Bernard a potential cut candidate
ESPN's Jenna Laine believes that Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Giovani Bernard could be cut prior to Week 1 of the 2022 NFL season.
Bernard was a sleeper running back heading into the 2021 fantasy season due to his ability to catch passes out of the backfield; quarterback Tom Brady has famously peppered his backs with valuable targets. However, Bernard eventually ceded most of the third-down work to teammate Leonard Fournette and was eventually limited to just two-minute drill work. Laine points to the team drafting Rachaad White in the 2022 NFL Draft and to Ke'Shawn Vaughn's improvements as to why the Bucs could afford to move on from the veteran back.
Our season-long projections currently have Bernard slated as the RB3 on his own team (with regards to fantasy). Fournette is numberFire's RB12 heading into the season and should see another massive workload, while rookie White mixes into our rankings at RB46. There's plenty of fantasy value in the Bucs' backfield, but it seems unlikely that Bernard will benefit much from it this season.
- Reid: Kansas City's Patrick Mahomes (ankle) will start in Sunday's Conference Championship January 27th, 2023
- Chiefs' Mecole Hardman (abdominal) 'in good place' after week off January 26th, 2023
- Christian McCaffrey (ankle) not practicing for 49ers, will play January 26th, 2023
- Patrick Mahomes (ankle) logs full practice for Chiefs January 25th, 2023
- Patrick Mahomes (ankle) expected to do 'everything' at Chiefs practice Wednesday January 25th, 2023
- Cowboys' Tony Pollard (fibula/ankle) to recover 'well before' training camp January 24th, 2023
- Buccaneers' Mike Evans (illness) logs full practice on Thursday January 12th, 2023
- Bucs pull Tom Brady in Week 18; Blaine Gabbert in at quarterback January 8th, 2023
- Buccaneers' Julio Jones (knee, illness) DNP on Wednesday January 4th, 2023
- Julio Jones (knee) active for Bucs in Week 17 January 1st, 2023
- Julio Jones (knee) questionable for Tampa Bay's Week 17 matchup December 30th, 2022
- Julio Jones (knee) cleared for Cardinals in Week 16 December 25th, 2022