Colts' Matt Ryan (shoulder) out for Week 8; Sam Ehlinger to start
Indianapolis Colts head coach Frank Reich announced Monday that Sam Ehlinger will start in place of Matt Ryan (shoulder) in the team's Week 8 game against the Washington Commanders.
Ryan suffered a shoulder sprain in the Colts' loss to the Tennessee Titans in Week 7 and will miss the team's Week 8 tilt with the Commanders, leaving Sam Ehlinger to make his first career start at the quarterback position. Ryan has not lived up to the offseason hype that developed in Indianapolis after the team traded for him, and his poor play has been a big part of the team's mediocre start. The belief is that Ehlinger will be the starting quarterback for the remainder of the season, while Nick Foles operates as the primary backup.
Ryan's 2,008 passing yards rank fourth in the league as of Week 7, but he has ranked dead last in the league in average depth of target on his 297 attempts (which rank second in the league). The veteran's time as a starter in the league may be coming to an end, as rumors swirl about how much he has left in the tank.
- Chiefs' Mecole Hardman (pelvis) unlikely to play in Super Bowl February 2nd, 2023
- Dolphins' Tua Tagovailoa clears concussion protocol February 1st, 2023
- Chiefs' Mecole Hardman (pelvis) idle for Wednesday practice February 1st, 2023
- JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) DNP for Chiefs' first Super Bowl practice February 1st, 2023
- Kadarius Toney (ankle) sits out Chiefs practice Wednesday February 1st, 2023
- Tom Brady announces second retirement February 1st, 2023
- Colts' Nick Foles (ribs) will not play in Week 18 January 2nd, 2023
- Colts' Sam Ehlinger will start at quarterback in Week 18 January 2nd, 2023
- Colts rule out Nick Foles (ribs) for remainder of Week 17 January 1st, 2023
- Colts' Sam Ehlinger starting second half for injured Nick Foles (ribs) in Week 17 January 1st, 2023
- Matt Ryan benched by Colts, Nick Foles to start in Week 16 December 21st, 2022
- Nick Foles starting for Colts in Week 16 December 21st, 2022