Sam Howell in lead for Commanders starting job
Washington Commanders quarterback Sam Howell will enter the offseason program as the frontrunner for the starting job, per head coach Ron Rivera.
Howell was drafted by the Commanders in the fifth round last year, but he was kept in the cupboard until making a meaningless start in the final game of the season against the Dallas Cowboys. He completed 11 of 19 passes for 169 yards with a touchdown and an interception, while adding another 35 rushing yards and a score. Carson Wentz was cut on Monday and Taylor Heinicke is set to become an unrestricted free agent, so Howell's only competition is Jake Fromm for the moment. The Commanders will likely bring in a veteran quarterback at some point during the offseason.
Howell averaged negative-0.21 Passing Net Expected Points per dropback last season and ranked ninth-worst out of the 70 quarterbacks with 20-plus attempts. Heinicke and Wentz both averaged negative-0.02 Passing NEP per attempt, tying for 40th in that group.
- Packers' Luke Musgrave 'earning first team reps' June 1st, 2023
- Browns 'want to get' wide receiver Elijah Moore the ball in 2023 June 1st, 2023
- Jets' Robert Saleh 'very optimistic' about Week 1 return for Breece Hall (ACL) June 1st, 2023
- Raiders significantly rework contract with Jimmy Garoppolo (foot) following failed physical May 28th, 2023
- Cardinals release wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins on Friday May 26th, 2023
- Geno Smith: Seahawks' Jaxon Smith-Njigba (hamstring) going to be 'tremendous' May 25th, 2023
- Jacoby Brissett signing with Commanders for 2023 March 15th, 2023
- Sam Howell in lead for Commanders starting job February 28th, 2023
- Commanders release quarterback Carson Wentz February 27th, 2023
- Washington's Brian Robinson (knee) ruled out in Week 18 January 6th, 2023
- Brian Robinson (knee) remains out at Washington practice January 5th, 2023
- Commanders place Antonio Gibson (knee, foot) on injured reserve January 5th, 2023