Lynch: Brock Purdy (elbow) 'has earned the right' to start for the 49ers in 2023
San Francisco 49ers general manager John Lynch said Monday that Brock Purdy (elbow) "has earned the right" to "take that first snap" in the 2023 NFL season.
Purdy shocked the league with his breakout 2022 performance, helping to steer the 49ers to an NFC Championship game before suffering a brutal elbow injury at the start of the contest. The former seventh-round pick will likely miss the entire offseason as he rehabs from his injury, but Lynch's comments would position Purdy ahead of teammate Trey Lance (ankle) for the team's starting quarterback gig. Lance operated as the 49ers' starter to open the 2022 season, but his own ankle injury opened the door for both Jimmy Garoppolo and Purdy to make starts. It would seem that Purdy currently has the edge to win the starting job in 2023 despite Lance's lofty draft capital, but it will be essential to monitor both quarterbacks' health heading into the season.
The 49ers finished the season on a 5-0 tear with Purdy under center, and clawed their way into the NFC Championship game off the back of their top notch defense, strong running game, and Purdy's elite 8.6 adjusted yards per pass attempt (which would have ranked second in the league last season). The team will have some difficult decisions to make this offseason, but Lynch's comments seem to imply that Purdy is currently in the lead for the starting job.
- Payton: Broncos "have a vision" for Greg Dulcich's role June 5th, 2023
- Laquon Treadwell signs 1-year deal with Ravens June 5th, 2023
- Vikings' Jalen Nailor 'continued to show up' in OTAs June 5th, 2023
- Giants' Parris Campbell showing 'early chemistry' with Daniel Jones June 5th, 2023
- Eagles' Rashaad Penny competing for roster spot June 5th, 2023
- Commanders' Jahan Dotson excited for 'explosive' offense in 2023 June 5th, 2023
- Trey Lance working with 49ers' first unit in OTAs May 25th, 2023
- 49ers' Brock Purdy (elbow) on track to begin throwing in June May 25th, 2023
- Lynch: Brock Purdy (elbow) 'has earned the right' to start for the 49ers in 2023 March 27th, 2023
- San Francisco's Brock Purdy (elbow) undergoes surgery on Friday, expected to throw in 3 months March 10th, 2023
- 49ers' Brock Purdy dealing with torn UCL injury; expected to miss six months January 30th, 2023
- Update: Josh Johnson (concussion) ruled out for 49ers in NFC Championship Game; Brock Purdy (elbow) remains at quarterback January 29th, 2023