Panthers reportedly releasing Cam Newton on Tuesday
The Carolina Panthers are expected to release quarterback Cam Newton on Tuesday, reports Adam Schefter of ESPN.
The Panthers tried trading Newton, but it's not surprising they couldn't find a suitor for a quarterback coming off foot surgery who was due $21.1 million in the final year of his deal. He also turns 31 in May. According to FanDuel Sportsbook, the Miami Dolphins are the favorite to be Newton's Week 1 team, followed by the Jacksonville Jaguars, Los Angeles Chargers, and New England Patriots.
Cam averaged 8.8 FanDuel points with 286.0 passing yards and no touchdowns in two appearances last season. He actually took away a career-low .04 expected points per play, ranking 39th out of 46 quarterbacks with 90-plus dropbacks last season. Newton's 5.9 adjusted yards per pass attempt also marked a new career-low.
- Bengals' William Jackson now fully healthy after tearing labrum June 4th, 2020
- Seattle's K.J. Wright ahead of schedule in shoulder rehab June 4th, 2020
- Steelers' Eric Ebron, Vance McDonald could have training camp battle June 4th, 2020
- CeeDee Lamb could be used as Cowboys' punt returner June 4th, 2020
- Jaylen Samuels not a lock to make Steelers' roster June 4th, 2020
- Buccaneers open to Devonta Freeman for right price June 4th, 2020
- Seth DeValve released by Panthers June 3rd, 2020
- Eli Apple signs 1-year deal with Carolina May 28th, 2020
- Panthers get defensive tackle Derrick Brown signed May 11th, 2020
- Panthers waive running back Marcus Murphy May 4th, 2020
- Panthers were open to trading out of Derrick Brown pick May 4th, 2020
- Panthers reportedly make pact with Michael Schofield April 30th, 2020