Cam Newton re-signs with Patriots for one year, $14 million
The New England Patriots re-signed quarterback Cam Newton to a one-year contract worth around $14 million.
Newton had an abysmal first season under the Patriots but that may have largely been due to the NFL's COVID-19 protocols and arguably the worst pass-catching group in the NFL. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick reportedly "has done nothing but rave" about Newton, so things seem to be pointing toward the former league MVP starting Week 1 and serving as a bridge for one of the top quarterbacks available in the draft at the end of April.
Cam averaged 18.0 FanDuel points per game for the Patriots and finished 33rd in Passing Net Expected Points per dropback among the 44 quarterbacks with at least 100 dropbacks last season.
- Rapoport: Michael Thomas (ankle) expected to miss start of Saints season July 23rd, 2021
- Rapoport: Davante Adams, Packers break off extension talks July 23rd, 2021
- Cowboys' Amari Cooper (ankle) starts camp on PUP list July 22nd, 2021
- Kyle Rudolph (foot) opens training camp on Giants' PUP list July 22nd, 2021
- Giants' Saquon Barkley (knee) opens training camp on PUP list July 22nd, 2021
- Report: Zach Ertz now has 'great chance' to stay with Eagles July 21st, 2021
- Jonnu Smith (hamstring) reportedly will be ready for Patriots' training camp July 20th, 2021
- Damien Harris 'surefire No.1' in Patriots backfield July 13th, 2021
- N'Keal Harry requests trade from Patriots July 6th, 2021
- Patriots' Mac Jones forcing 'real competition' with Cam Newton June 21st, 2021
- Pats' Mac Jones playing behind Jarrett Stidham in "every period" June 14th, 2021
- Jakobi Meyers looking like Patriots' WR1 for camp June 14th, 2021